Honoring the Partnerships that formed the Highlands Conservancy in the first place and the ever expanding network of new citizen and environmental partners we’ve worked with through the past 5 decades.
Tentative – Details are still being finalized
Friday, September 15, 2017
Noon – Registration and Display set-up begins
1:00pm – Outings organize for departure 3:00pm Displays, Silent Auction, Photo-sharing, Story Telling, Meet & Greet, Workshops, presentations and Round Table Discussions 4:30pm Reception Begins
Conservation Leaders, Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow
6:00pm Panel Discussions
Canaan Valley – The Promised Land
Mon National Forest, Wild & Wonderful! 8:00pm Keynote Speaker
9:00pm Music, Outings; Stars & Salamanders
Saturday, September 16, 2017
6:30am Bird walk
7-8:00am, continental Breakfast
8:00am, Registration and display set-up (cont.) 8:00am, Morning and all-day outings organize 11:00am, Round Table Discussions
Poet’s Round Table
1:00pm, Afternoon Outings Organize 1:30pm, Workshops, round-table discussions
4:00pm, A Celebration of the West Virginia Highlands Conservancy
5:00pm, evening reception/posters/displays 6:00pm, Dinner
7:00pm, Panel Discussion/Keynote
Toxic Soup or a Hearty Broth? 9:00pm, Music, Evening Outings
Sunday, September 17, 2017
6:30am, Bird walk
7-8:00am, Continental Breakfast
8:00am, morning and all-day outings organize 9am Panel Discussion
Maintaining Sanity – In An Uncertain Future
11:00am Box lunches, afternoon outings
Contact us at; email@example.com
Scenic Chairlift Rides, $7 adults
Highlands Car Tour, We’ll have a self-guided car tour highlighting regional attractions and scenic destinations.
Abe’s Run Swamp hike
Canaan Valley and the Davis Power Project Canaan Valley State Park Hike
History of the ski industry in Canaan
Red Spruce tree planting and restoration tour
All Day outings
Caving – Sinks of Gandy, Stillhouse Cave
Canoeing/kayaking – Blackwater River Hike – Otter Creek, South Prong Trail Bike – Blackwater Canyon Trail
White Water Paddling – Dry Fork River,
Silent Auction – Consider donating an item. Raffle – we’re open for suggestions. Displays/Posters – We’ll have plenty of space for our partners to set up displays highlighting their organization, research, or projects. Workshops – We’ve got time slots and space allocated for talks, presentations or workshops. We want to learn more about what you or your organization is working on.
Round Table Discussions – both structured and impromptu discussions around various topics.
Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow
The past meets the future as conservation leaders from all generations gather to reflect on careers, successes & failures, perseverance, friendships, tomorrow, and that common thread that binds us all – our love and appreciation for this special place. Rather than a formal sit-down dinner, we’ll have a reception with plenty of fare.
Canaan Valley – Promised Land
Winning the battle against the Davis Power Project allowed for the creation of the Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge.
The Monongahela National Forest
Strong Forest Management Plans and Wilderness protection help to keep the Monongahela Wild and Wonderful.
A Celebration of the Highlands Conservancy
A celebratory reception honoring and recognizing our History, Founders and Accomplishments.
Toxic Soup or a Hearty Broth?
Where Science, Litigation, Activism and Public Interest Intersect. A Moderated Panel Discussion/keynote address.
Maintaining Sanity – In An Uncertain Future
Climate Change, renewable energy, sustainability. What does tomorrow hold?
Help Us Celebrate!
Help us make the 50th Celebration extra special.
- Contact us with the names and contact information of people you know who have some connection with the Highlands Conservancy who may not still be engaged.
- Write about an issue that you know about, were involved with, or the success from our efforts you enjoy. Share your personal memories or experiences.
- Offer to lead an outing to one of the places we’ve fought to protect over the last 50 years.
- Share your stories or experiences working with, or even against, us on some issue.
- Clean out your closets for memorabilia, or other items to bring to the Canaan Celebration in September to share with us.
- Donate a silent auction or raffle item.
- Get out those old photo albums and bring them with you to Canaan for a photo-sharing display.
- But most of all, JOIN US September 15-17 at the Canaan Valley State Park to help us celebrate 5 decades of Fighting to Protect the Highlands!
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Canaan Valley State Park, 800-622-4121
- WVHC 50th special rate of $119/night.
- Cabin Rentals available to sleep 4-12.
- Canaan Valley State Park Campgrounds,
Paved, full hookups.