WVHC, now in its 54th year, currently serves approximately 1,500 members and supporters with a strong history of promoting, encouraging, and working for the conservation and an appreciation of the natural resources of West Virginia focusing primarily on the Highlands Region. Protecting clean air, clean water, forests, streams, mountains, and the health and welfare of the people that live here and those who visit is what the Conservancy is all about.
The responsibilities of the Program Director would be Organizational Development, Committee Coordination, and working with the Public Lands Committee to establish an advocacy program for the Dolly Sods Wilderness in the Monongahela National Forest.
- Organizational development 50% – Develop and implement strategies to effectively increase WVHC membership and revenues. Establish a “Brand” for the organization and work to standardize this brand across all organization communications, publications, website, and social media, etc. Activities would include developing relationships with, and communications with the press, communicating directly with our members and the public by writing articles for the Highlands Voice (presently our most important developmental tool), develop fund appeals, and institute membership development and maintenance activities. Assist with the quarterly Board of Director meeting planning and preparation, including agendas, financials, packets, mailings emails etc. and attendance of the meetings providing reports on recent efforts and relevant developments.
- Committee support – Facilitate Committee Activities by helping to coordinate inter-committee communications, meetings, fund raising, membership engagement, press communications, volunteer coordination, and public outreach activities. Engage elected officials to advocate our position on Legislative matters.
- Establishing a Dolly Sods Advocacy Program – Work with the Public Lands Committee, to develop a program to help guide and engage the public in the management of the Dolly Sods Wilderness. This program would include service and educational outings, help to coordinate volunteer activities with the Forest Service, and advocate for strong protection of the Resources of this popular Wilderness Area.
The Program Director is a full-time position. Compensation would be commensurate with experience, with negotiable benefits. The Director would also have an operational budget which would cover travel, office, and operational expenses.
Qualities we are seeking for a successful candidate would include:
- strong communications and writing skills
- previous Organizational Development experience
- familiarity with the social and political landscape of West Virginia
- familiarity with the places where we work, and the issues we are engaged in
- experience working with the press
- experience working with Federal and State Land Managing and Regulatory Agencies
- A firm understanding of Wilderness
- experience organizing volunteers
Please send resume to email@example.com. Deadline is April 15, 2021.