Now Hiring: Communications Director
The West Virginia Highlands Conservancy is the oldest conservation organization in West Virginia. Since 1967 we have worked to fulfill our mission of the conservation and appreciation of the natural resources of West Virginia. During that time, our primary tool for communicating with our members and the public has been our monthly publication, The Highlands Voice.
WVHC is currently seeking a creative and dynamic person to continue the work of The Highlands Voice as well as expand our digital communications. This position requires extensive experience with communications and marketing, particularly geared towards developing and editing content for newsletters, websites, and internal/external communications. This is a part-time, remote, contractual position with compensation ranging between $20,000 and $25,000, dependent upon experience and skill levels. The position is open until filled. A review of applications will begin the week of August 15, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Larry Thomas at email@example.com and Cory Chase firstname.lastname@example.org (or to ask for additional information).
The Communications Director will work in a close partnership with the President, Program Director, Membership and Fulfillment Secretary, working committees, and board members to lead the external communication efforts of the WVHC, including but not limited to the Highlands Voice, the WVHC website, active social media platforms, direct communications with WVHC members and supporters, and public relations messages to articulate WVHC’s mission consistently.
The incumbent should be ambitious, possess a high level of personal responsibility, and be comfortable creating and executing communication strategies. The Communications Director must be an assertive project manager, detail-oriented, and possess excellent relationship-building skills and instincts.
- Ensure the successful and timely publishing of The Highlands Voice, including but not limited to copy editing, layout, soliciting, and writing articles
- Manage the creation, distribution, and maintenance of all additional print and electronic collateral, including brochures, WVHC’s website, WVHC’s social media platforms, communications with WVHC members and supporters, and public relations messages
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan for WVHC
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate
- Implement communications systems to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities and initiatives
- Coordinate webpage updates and general maintenance to ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Track and measure the level of engagement within WVHC over time
- Manage all media contacts
- Proficiency in InDesign Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and CRM systems; working understanding of, or ability to learn, cloud-based applications and tools such as Google Groups, Google Docs, Office 365, WordPress, Canva, and Slack
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, board members, volunteers, program participants, members, and supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Familiarity with issues WVHC has addressed in the past would be a plus